Monday, April 28, 2014

23andme Results and Possible Cause of My Miscarriages

When you get the 23andme Results it is your raw genetic info. You have to put it into a program to interpret it. I used http://geneticgenie.org/ it is free but run on donations. I hate the way the 23andme website is set up. It took me quite a while to figure out how to get my genetic info and their help page is almost useless. 

Once I figured it out I put it into genetic genie and waited for my results. When I saw them I just stared in shock at my computer screen for a few minutes. It shows green for homozygous genes with no defects, yellow for genes with a heterozygous defect, and red for homozygous genes were both are defective, meaning you received a copy from each of your parents. It gives a brief explanation of what homozygous and heterozygous mean. All of the genes analyzed relate to the methylation cycle.

Most of my defects relate to vitamin B12 and I have homozygous MTHFR genes. Then I started doing research and there are tons of websites that talk about it. It was pretty overwhelming at first. I found out that being deficient in B12 can cause infertility and miscarriage and MTHFR does as well. It also causes high homo-cysteine, which explains why I had spotting while taking Metformin. Metformin also causes increased homo-cysteine so it was not a good thing to be taking with the defects I have. 

This is a website that gives a good explanation of each gene, the methylation cycle, and includes some recommendations for supplementation.  There are so many diseases and symptoms that having these defects cause that it is mind boggling. For years I have suffered from chronic fatigue symptoms and now I finally know why.

No comments:

Post a Comment